Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My Makeup Bag



This is my makeup bag. It's dingy, it's dirty, and the inside is so gross that sometimes even I'm afraid to put my hand in it. However, my makeup bag is sturdy and has lasted me through things like shows at Seville, getting dropped in puddles of water, and high school. However, the design of a makeup bag, like a cell phone, isn't nearly as important as what's inside of it. Here's a peek at 10 of the most important things (in no specific order) inside my makeup bag, and why they rule.




  1. NARS Highlighting/Blush duo in Albatross/Orgasm. - If you can get over the fact that NARS has created a blush called "orgasm," this is possibly the best thing you will ever own. My mother got me this set for Christmas in 2009, and I'm still not done with it. That's right kids, it lasts that long. Orgasm (okay, get your giggles out now) goes on very thick so you only need apply a light dusting to the apples of your cheeks to get a lovely summer glow. Brighten up your face by just dabbing the tops of your cheeks, the bridge of your nose, the area between and under your lips, and the corners of your eyes with Albatross. Voila! Instant beautification.
  2. Clinique Perfectly Real Makeup Foundation in Shade 01 (because I am pale as all get-out) - Having recently made the switch to liquid foundation, I can say that this is one of the best ones out there. It's not all that expensive ($24 for a bottle of foundation that lasts you quite a while is something I'd invest in!) and does wonders for your skin. Most dermatologists recommend liquid foundation, as it helps hydrate your skin while giving it a dewy glow and doesn't flaunt creases like that dumb mineral powder. (Sorry for those of you who use mineral foundation, there's nothing wrong with the matte look!)
  3. Clinique Airbrush Liquid Concealer in Fair - I'm a teenage girl, which means I'm prone to the occasional blemish on my face. What I've so eloquently dubbed as "Zit-Be-Gone" has done WONDERS for my skin. All you have to do is dab a very small amount over the blemish, blend with your fingers, and let dry before applying foundation. You may want to apply a little more over the foundation and blend again, but I promise your skin will thank you. $19.50 for concealer that actually works? Yes, please.
  4. Clinique Different Lipstick in A Different Grape - This is my all-time favorite lipstick. In fact, I love Clinique lipstick so much, I bought it in Citrus Rose (another favorite), Tender-Heart (for all you lovers of nude lipstick), Bamboo Pink, and All Heart. $14.50 for quality lipstick? Not bad at all. It goes on like butter and does wonders for your lips. Each lipstick is packed with rich emollients to help hydrate and healthy-up your kisser. Another bonus? Dermatologists discovered that A Different Grape is one of several Clinique lipsticks that make teeth look whiter. I'll take three!
  5. Too Faced Bronzer: Caribbean in a Compact in Snow Bunny - It's no surprise that I'm really pale, and I RE-FUSE to fake n' bake. I tend to burn at the beach, and keeping my face looking healthy (AKA with some color) is a priority. You can imagine my delight at finding this sorta-pricey but worth it bronzer at Sephora! This bronzer has lasted me a long time, which is what you want in any kind of makeup. It has four different shades that can be used separately, but when combined, give your face a lovely healthy glow that looks fabulous all year round.
  6. Rimmel Exaggerate Auto Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil in Noir - While I'll totally splurge for things like blush, foundation, and lipstick, eyeliner and mascara are something I'm willing to spend an average of $4 on at CVS or Target. I've tried a LOT of different eyeliners, and this one doesn't disappoint. My #1 favorite thing about it? IT DOESN'T SMUDGE. The shape of my eyes are really weird, so things tend to get stuck in the creases all the time. Plus, I'm a huge fan of the cats-eye, and there's nothing more annoying than trying to rock that and having the corners fade into your skin. Lame. This has been the best $4 I've ever spent on eyeliner, and I haven't bought another one since.
  7. Maybelline Mascara in One-by-One - I'm really picky about my mascara. If it doesn't make your lashes look fake or can't make it touch your brows, why bother buying it? The whole point of mascara is to make your eyes look like the models' in the ads, right? Am I right, ladies? Thought so. Like eyeliner, I've tried nearly every brand of mascara. I've tried Sephora Brand, Makeup ForEVER, Urban Decay, Too Faced, you name it, it doesn't work. Lo and behold, drugstore brand mascara DOES! Granted, I do layer my mascaras, but this one does the job all on its own. Highly recommended. Your lashes will thank the both of us.
  8. Burt's Bees Lip Balm in Rejuvenating Lip Balm with Acai Berry - Who ISN'T on the acai berry craze these days? Burt's Bees has created a totally lovable, kissable lip balm that I can't get enough of. I am always applying this, especially before I apply my lipstick. I can't stress enough how important it is, ladies, that you apply balm before your lipstick. I recommend this one because it's hydrating and will make your lips feel oh-so rad underneath your lipstick. Another great balm for applying underneath is the regular beeswax, but I like the acai berry because it feels awesome and tastes pretty great too. Not that I'm eating it, but you know.
  9. Stella McCartney "Stella" Roll-On Eau de Parfum - Stella McCartney is one of my idols, and her fragrance is absolutely amazing. This came into my possession at the same time as NARS compact my mom got me, and I swear I must have worn it every day. It JUST ran out back in May when I used the last little drops for a job interview (which I snagged, no biggie). It's $20 for one of the most coveted fragrances out there, lasts long, and smells absolutely yummy. Your senses will thank you.
  10. Listerine PocketMist - I cannot stress to you how important having one (or six) of these in your bag is. Buy one. Buy six. You never know when you're gonna have to go in for a last minute job interview or audition, and trust me: you don't want the interviewers/whoever to know you had Taco Bell for lunch. These are cheap and last you quite a while, not to mention they kill 99.9% of germs! They're no substitute for brushing your teeth, but they do save your butt from time to time.

xo Andie

No comments:

Post a Comment